This has been one of my favorite baked good challenges. Every year I've been trying to perfect my carrot cake and frosting; I think I have finally done it. I took my favorite aspects of each recipe I used in the past, pieced them together, and created this:
it is so moist, so dense, so delicious. Now since there is ALWAYS room for improvement, next time I plan to split the cake into 2 9x13 pans and make a double layer 9x13 cake with icing in the middle. Not that this one isn't good, but let's face it, there's always room to improve!
- 6 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup applesauce
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 - 20 oz can crushed pineapple
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tsp ground cinnamon
- Combine grated carrots and brown sugar, let sit together while you make the other parts of the recipe
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, grease 9x13 pan (one or two)
- Beat eggs, slowly add in sugar, applesauce, vanilla, and pineapple.
- Combine flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon; add to the wet mixture and mix until all is moist.
- Stir in the carrot mixture, mix well, be cautious to not leave clumps of brown sugar
- Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until cake is done, in preheated oven
- Cool and frost with easy-peasy cream cheese frosting
Calories: 232 calories per serving (18 pieces)
Easy-Peasy Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8oz neufchatel (cream cheese)
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Blend all together using electric mixer, do NOT add more of anything until you have combined it all; the powdered sugar absorbs rather quickly, but may start out looking clumpy and chunky.
Calories: 137 calories per serving (18 servings)