Sunday, March 18, 2012

Purging

I've had four blog posts started and drafted since Monday night. It seems that each time I went to start one of the posts, something else would catch my attention and I would drift away from the blog, giving in to the thief of my attention.

Most of it was good stuff, okay all of it was good stuff: Skype dates with friends, real in person friendship dates with friends from far away (Lima and Kansas City!), snuggles on the couch (my favorite!), a Bulls' game, a new recipe, a quick project, etc. Needless to say it has been a busy week, and the weekend was packed as well!

We are in the process of building a house. Well, we have been in the process of building a house for sometime now, but as the wedding date approaches so does the finalization of the house. This weekend we headed to an auction at the Kane County Fairgrounds, one that we go to each time it's in town, with the hopes to purchase a few more things for the house.

Let me list for you what we already have:

  • exterior stone (bought at last year's auction)
  • kitchen cabinets and counter tops (bought off a showroom for a FRACTION of the cost)
  • bathroom vanity and laundry room cabinetry (from same showroom)
  • 14 windows and a door (purchased at the auction this weekend)
  • steam dryer
  • microwave oven
  • warming drawer (for the kitchen, odd, but it was a good deal)
  • stove (all 4 above purchased from an auction)

Where is all this stored you ask? Well, if I had a picture of Keith's garage, I'm not sure I'd want to show you. It's packed. There is a walkway to get from the door out and to the deep freezer, but that's about it. The dryer, microwave, warming drawer, and stove are at my parents' house...have I mentioned they live in Texas? Not to mention the rubbermaid bins filled with decor and supplies, the shelves with boxes of random things, and interior & exterior lights, all stored in the basement.

I am extremely excited about the new house, and am even more excited about all the deals we've been able to find. What I am not excited about is how cluttered and chaotic it makes me feel. So this morning I started to purge. Since I can't get that stuff out of here (not that I want it gone, I just want it where it belongs), I began to cleanse myself of things I really don't need. Anything that I didn't wear this winter (with the exception of professional clothes since this season didn't require much professional wear) was put in a donate bin. Anything I felt just "meh" about, anything that doesn't fit (big or small), anything that didn't go with anything I currently own; all of it was purged.

Then, I sat down for a break and hopped on pinterest. Initially it was to look through my dinner recipes board to decide what should be for dinner this week, but after a few minutes of going through my boards, I started purging my pins. Holy smokes did I have a lot! And a lot of pins that, while they were great ideas, or cute things, they were things I did not need to covet. Things I will never make, things I will never eat, things I will never try, or things I will never do. While I like to THINK I will, I won't, and holding on to these pins allows me to covet what I do not have, and that is unnecessary.

After all this purging, fresh air, a walk outside, and a good (finally) relaxing day, I am ready to get back into the swing of things - blogging included. I promise to have more blogs this week than last (not hard to do!), and I hope to keep up with it all. The weather is beautiful though, so if I don't get to you as soon as you would like I apologize...but 80 degrees in March is rare and I am taking full advantage of it, so you're just going to have to be okay with it.

2 comments:

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El/e/Mrs. Seaman) said...

Stop promising. Post when you can and when you want.

I purge pins too--all the time. My goal is to keep it under 500.

Erin Finney said...

That's a good goal. I have a lot of wedding ideas on there, but that board will be deleted post wedding. I enjoy the recipes because I feel like it's a good way to keep recipes organized, and they're easy to search for too! I'm not sure what my goal is with it all yet, but for now I'm going to try and keep it to things I think are realistic for my life.