Tuesday, March 20, 2012

A couple of quick, simple tricks

Who am I to say if you will be as excited about these minor revelations I experienced this week, but I was too excited not to share them! Since Keith only gets vaguely excited about these life changing tricks, I needed to share it with others who may understand a little more.

I have a love-hate relationship with onions. I love them in my food, I hate preparing them. I heard a trick once (on a Brady Bunch episode actually - haha!) that if you cut them under cool water they don't burn your eyes. My eyes are ridiculously sensitive. No, really, it's utterly ridiculous. They water with any irritation, they burn if the sun is too bright, it's just obnoxious. The combination of my overly sensitive eyes and desire to have onions lead me to be willing to try anything, even a trick off some "old" sitcom. I wasn't really sure how I was going to go about doing this...the big question was - how do I cut in my sink? SO I crafted this little contraption:  


I found a cutting board that fit the width of my sink and tucked it in until it was secure. I turned on the cool water and began to cut. I was apprehensive at first, waiting for the burning to start, the obnoxious watering, and then the sharp pain...but none of it came! NONE. Not one single tear, not one single sting, burn, or irritation!! IT WORKED! I will never doubt the Brady Bunch ever again. NEVER.

The second exciting revelation I made this week you may be able to see underneath that cutting board in the picture above. I don't have a disposal in my sink. After growing up with a disposal, and having one at my apartment, I came here and just didn't know what to do with myself. It has been quite the transition, including a lot of clogging, picking, and some simply disgusting moments of my life.

here's a closer picture in case you can't see it as well.

it's a bowl, just a simple plastic bowl. And when I put it under the cutting board, I push it towards the front. Then, I put the water so it is drizzling more towards the back. As I peel and cut various veggies or what not I am able to put the scraps of trash into the bowl and the water doesn't get into it. Once I'm finished chopping I simply take out the bowl and trash the contents! It's not disposal, but it certainly gets the job done for now!

So there you have it, my minor life-changing revelations. Were they as life changing for you as they were for me?

1 comment:

sheena said...

Hi, cool post. I have been thinking about this topic,so thanks for sharing. I will probably be subscribing to your blog. Keep up great writing!!!
2006 Infiniti FX35 AC Compressor