Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Bacon.

I love bacon. I love wrapping things with bacon, I love putting bacon on my food, sometimes I just like to sit and eat it. There is something about this unhealthy, salty meat that just makes my belly say "YUM!"

However, cooking bacon is a mess. I always set off the smoke alarm, I always splatter myself with grease, and I always have a yucky stove to clean at the end of the day. I realized that you can make bacon in the OVEN! Yes, people, there are directions directly on the package of how to do this. HOW DID I MISS THIS!?

So I tested it out last week, and it worked great! I still set off the smoke alarm (go figure), but the mess was SO much easier to clean! I lined my baking sheet with foil which allowed me to just peel the foil off and toss it at the end of the baking session. The bacon came out delicious! I would have liked it to be a little crispier, so next time I'll leave it in longer. But it still turned out tasty and was great on my pizza, in my jambalaya, and for the homemade bacon bits for my salad.



Do you have any tips for cooking bacon? Mostly, how to not set off the smoke alarm. I thought using turkey bacon would make a difference, but it doesn't. I keep the fan on the oven running, I open the windows (even in the middle of winter), and still off they go! Any pointers would be great! 

3 comments:

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El/e/Mrs. Seaman) said...

My mom raised me to believe bacon is awful for me, so I only have it for a rare treat, and I eat in in BLTs. We tend to microwave it, but I hate the waste of paper towels. It makes it much lesser greasy though.

Maggie said...

we took off our downstairs fire alarm. problem solved!

Erin Finney said...

Both great pieces of advice! Maggie, I think Keith is about ready to do that since he's the one who usually ends up having to fan at the smoke detector!