Tuesday, February 28, 2012

No Sew Scarf

I originally saw this scarf idea on a morning news segment, but was slightly intimidated by how to make it. I've never been a very good cutter...as in, I can't cut straight to save my life and my hands are about as steady as a girl on a first date (can you imagine how trembly they were on my actual first dates!?). So I put it off for a while, and just figured I wouldn't make it. Then I found a tutorial on pinterest and thought "okay, maybe I CAN do this."


But I avoided it for another few weeks. Then, last weekend, I finally did it. I mustered up the courage, put my best foot forward, and gave it a try. I started with some leftover scrap fabric from JoAnn's ($3), a lamp shade, shears, and a washable marker. 

Steps:
  • Trace lampshade onto fabric - some tutorials say use a paper plate, I do not have said paper plate in my office that is two floors above the basement, where we keep the paper plates, so I went for something similar in shape and size...and something that wasn't all the way in the basement (I may exercise, but I'm still lazy!).
  • I was really, really paranoid about messing this up, so I measured one inch increments across the diameter of the circle. As I started cutting I did my best to match up with these lines so that each strip was about one inch wide. 
  • I cut about 4 pieces of fabric at a time (brave, but it's easier to cut a few at once than one...the thicker it is the more stable it feels to me).
  • Once finished I wrapped around my neck and tied off with a scrap piece of the same fabric. You can tie the scarf however you like, this was just the way I chose to do it the first time I wore it.  
I didn't give much of a detailed explanation because there are so many tutorials out there that I'm sure you can find one if you want. I'm just excited that it turned out as cute as it did, and love the outfit I matched it up with! I also had a pair of grey boots on, which you can't see in the picture, and would like to point out that I have cleaned the bathroom since this post (hence no dirty mirror ;)). 


2 comments:

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El/e/Mrs. Seaman) said...

I have a new sew ruffled scarf tutorial pinned too. I have the T shirt in hand to make it.

What am I so afraid of?

Erin Finney said...

Go for it!! I was so intimidated too, but once I started I realized how simple it can be! You can do it, the worst that can happen is it doesn't work!