Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Cherry Chocolate Cupcakes

I love maraschino cherreies. I could (and sometimes do) eat them by the spoonful, straight out of the jar. Who knows why I like these so much, but yummers they are so divine! In the summer I like to put them on top of my vanilla ice cream with some chocolate sauce and indulge in all that is good. For this cupcake, I took that favorite summer treat and turned it into a treat for winter.

Ingredients: 
  • 1 cup vanilla cake batter
  • 3-5 tbsp cocoa (depending on how chocolatey you like it)
  • maraschino cherries
  • vanilla frosting
For the Mini and Big version:
  • Mix the cocoa into the vanilla cake mix
  • fill muffin cup about 3/4 of the way
  • push in cherry 
  • bake according to cake directions.

[feel free to put 2 cherries in the big ones ;)]


Variation 1: 
  • Once baked, put a ring of vanilla icing around the cherry (this was Keith's idea, and I thought it was so fun!)


 Variation 2: 
  • bake with graham crackers crushed on top.
  • you'll also notice here that I attempted to use a marble to make heart shaped cupcakes...I wasn't too impressed with how it turned out, but if you don't have a heart shaped pan it is a good alternative!


Variation 3: 
  • I only have a picture of the before, not the after, but for this one I used vanilla cake batter and chocolate icing. 


1 comment:

Natalie said...

Remember how you used to ask for a dish of cherries at Colonial?