Monday, January 2, 2012

a twist on lasagna!

I was inspired by this recipe on pinterest a while ago, but I don't have that many ingredients on hand at home so I had been putting it off for a while. However, last week I realized I didn't REALLY need that many ingredients to make it...after all, the reason I love lasagna so much is because it is so simple. So I decided to make my own version of this recipe.

There were a few things that I did differently, in the original recipe they used large muffin pans, which I don't have, so I used regular ones. I also didn't layer the cups, I just poured everything in. And as an added twist I tried something brand new - even to my recipe - and replaced the ricotta cheese (or sometimes I use cottage cheese) with plain greek yogurt...and you know what? Neither of us could tell the difference! Not only did it cut out a significant amount of calories, it also added a significant amount of protein to the dish!

I was pretty impressed with how tasty these little things turned out to be! Plus, in an effort to continue to be healthy, it helped to have single servings to work on that not so popular portion control...Here's the recipe if you'd like to enjoy! Overall it took about 45 minutes from the time I started until the time they were on the table. I served with some garlic bread too YUM!

Recipe:
1 box Whole Grain lasagna noodles
16 oz plain greek yogurt
1.5 c shredded cheese (divided)
1 jar of pasta sauce
2 lb ground turkey (or beef if you prefer!)
a few dashes (maybe 1tbsp?) of each italian seasoning and oregano

1. Cook noodles according to directions




[trying to be healthy I used whole grain noodles]


2. Brown turkey; add seasonings once browned, mix, and let simmer for 2 minutes.



3. Combine cooked turkey, greek yogurt, 1/2 c. of cheese, and sauce in a bowl, mix until evenly covered. I think if I were to do this again I would use 1/2 jar of the sauce in the mix and then keep the other half to pour over the lasagna noodles at the end...but that's just a preference and not how the original recipe intended for it to be!


[see how my greek yogurt is oozing from the side? 
yeah, that's because I dropped it in an effort to only make one trip 
from the car to the house...]

[don't make the same mistake I did and drop the 
liner for the yogurt into your mixture...oops.]


4. Once noodles are cooked, drain and let them cool for a few minutes. I laid mine out across the strainer to cool them as I went.
5. Line muffin pan with muffin dishes (you can use parchment paper, but I don't have that...) and spray with pam (probably not necessary, but I did to be safe!)
6. Pour mixture in each cup and top with remaining cheese. To make this easier I poured some into a measuring cup and then poured it into each noodle cup.




7. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes

[i forgot to take a picutre of the first pan, 
so this is the second with the extra mixture in muffin tins 
for additional sauce on top]




8. I had some leftover of the sauce mix at the end so I divided it up into muffin tins, just without noodles and poured that over each noodle once out of the oven for some extra saucy-ness






9. YUM!


calories: 220/each best part is these are PACKED with protein! Yay greek yogurt! 

2 comments:

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El/e/Mrs. Seaman) said...

Extra saucy--yep that's how I describe you! (I'm pinning this!)

Erin Finney said...

hehe, I think that's how my mom would describe me too :)

yay, you're is pinning my blog, thank you :)