Monday, January 9, 2012

J-E-L-L-O GUMMIES!

For whatever reason Keith has recently become obsessed with Jello. Who knows where this love came from, but I have been having a lot of fun with it! Jello molds, jigglers, there really is a lot more to do with jello than the plain old jello bowl! 

While looking for something fun and new to try, I came across a recipe for homemade fruit snacks using jello and decided to give it a shot! I found the recipe on this blog (I like to give credit where credit is due!) and altered it just a smidgen.

For complete recipe, scroll to bottom...for picture recipe, start here! 

2 cups frozen strawberries
1/2 cup of water
3/4 cup applesauce (with cinnamon - can't even tell!)
1 cup cranberry juice cocktail
3 envelopes of gelatin



 Over medium heat boil strawberries and water until berries are soft.


Transfer to blender (I used my magic bullet) and puree until smooth




Return to pot, add applesauce and return to boil. 





Remove from heat, cover and set aside


In measuring cup combine juice and gelatin and let sit for a minute (then get distracted, and realize 15 minutes later that you were supposed to combine those things sooner...don't worry, it will be okay!)


Combine with warm fruit mixture and let it dissolve (5 to 20 minutes...depending how distracted you get this time)


I poured this on a thin baking sheet because Keith and I don't really like thick jello (too sugary). 


Let it set for a few hours (maybe 3 or so) 


and then cut into desired size. I cut mine into various sizes to appeal to my needs later on (okay, really I just can't cut straight to save my life...but I like to think I was just catering to those who may want bigger or smaller pieces. Yep, that's me, I'm considerate!)


For those of you who are like me and have never seen this stuff -- here's a picture so you can see what you are looking for! 


It turned out pretty good, I think in the future I wouldn't use the gelatin envelopes, but jello in whatever flavor juice I use. 



Recipe:
2 cups frozen strawberries
1/2 cup of water
3/4 cup applesauce (with cinnamon - can't even tell!)
1 cup cranberry juice cocktail
3 envelopes of gelatin
  • Over medium heat boil strawberries and water until berries are soft.
  • Transfer to blender (I used my magic bullet) and puree until smooth
  • Return to pot, add applesauce and return to boil. 
  • Remove from heat, cover and set aside
  • In measuring cup combine juice and gelatin and let sit for a minute (then get distracted, and realize 15 minutes later that you were supposed to combine those things sooner...don't worry, it will be okay!)
  • Combine with warm fruit mixture and let it dissolve (5 to 20 minutes...depending how distracted you get this time)
  • I poured this on a thin baking sheet because Keith and I don't really like thick jello (too sugary). 
  •  Let it set for a few hours (maybe 3 or so) 
  • Cut into desired size. I cut mine into various sizes to appeal to various guests who may want bigger or smaller pieces. (okay, really I just can't cut straight to save my life...but I like to think I was just catering to those who may want bigger or smaller pieces. Yep, that's me, I'm considerate!)

1 comment:

Natalie said...

hehe I like your pic of the unflavored gelatin. I used that recently for something this summer, and thought it was hilarious that the standard measurement is "1 envelope". That's what it says on the box, that's what recipes call for... weird.