Sunday, January 15, 2012

Bacon and BBQ Pork sandwiches

I LOVE BBQ! It is most definitely one of my FAVORITE types of food! I'm an all-American food lover. Don't get me wrong, I will enjoy just about any type of cuisine, but there is something about a good ol' fashioned BBQ that makes my tummy smile! 

Last week Costco had a special on their pork chops so they came out to be about $2/pound (SUPER CHEAP!) so I snagged the cheapest (ie: smallest) package I could find. Half of it was wrapped individually in saran wrap and then put into a freezer bag for later use (pork chops stay in the freezer for up to 3 months if stored properly, so it was a great investment!) and the others I seasoned up for this dinners this week! 

Lately, I've been cooking one big dish and eating it throughout the week and then having other more simple things in between for other meals. It has worked out nicely, but this week I didn't cook up all the pork because it wasn't all defrosted in time. Instead I cooked 2 pieces and put the rest (seasoned) in a tupperware container to defrost, soak up the seasonings, and cook later in the week. 

Bacon & BBQ Pork Sandwiches:

I didn't time how long it took me to cook these, but I would say from start to finish it was probably about 30 minutes. I would say it would be about an easy-medium difficulty, but that is also coming from someone who has never cooked pork before. The hardest part was waiting to eat it ;)

Ingredients:
  • 2 pork chops (or more) mine were about 1 1/2 inches thick!
  • 1 package of bacon (you can use turkey bacon, or omit if you're looking for a way to make this more heart healthy)
  • 1 tbsp of bacon fat, butter, or oil
  • 2 tbsp (or more) Weber Sweet 'n Tangy seasoning rub (or other rub of choice)
  • 1/4 cup your favorite BBQ sauce - I used KC Masterpiece original because we have a stockpile (I mean STOCKPILE) of this from a coupon deal a while back. 
  • 2 Buns

Picture directions (for consolidated/non picture directions scroll to bottom): 

Cook bacon, if you choose to make the bacon in the oven you will need to use butter (or olive oil) instead of bacon fat when cooking the pork chops. 


 Season pork chops with rub on both sides and rub in to the chop


pour excess fat from bacon into a metal soup can (or similar) BE CAREFUL! Save about a tablespoon in your pan. 


 I love this rub! I sprinkled it on some home made french fries the other day too and baked them up -- YUMMO!

 brown all sides of pork chop (about 3 minutes per side)



Once browned cover with about 1/2 the BBQ sauce and smear all over one side, then flip and use that sauce to cover the other. 


cover and let it cook for about 7 minutes


if you want to just cook the chops and not use them for sandwiches, you can skip this step and just let the chops keep cooking. I would suggest rotating the chop every few minutes and checking the internal temperature to reach an internal temp of 145-150 degrees F in multiple areas. 

If you are going to make the sandwiches (and to help them cook faster) cut the chops in half and lay them cut side down. Cover, and let cook for another 5 minutes or so. 


Take out of pan one half at a time and slice into thin pieces, put back in pan.


cook all the pieces in the pan for another 3 minutes or so



[stack it up!]

[YUMMO!]

I was very pleased with how this turned out! I will admit it is the first time I have ever cooked pork chops (SHOCK!). All I remember about pork chops from when I was younger was dipping them in applesauce and still tasting blech blech bland; so I was apprehensive when I began, but gained confidence as I went and produced a tasty meal!

Consolidated Directions: 
  • Cook bacon, if you choose to make the bacon in the oven you will need to use butter (or olive oil) instead of bacon fat when cooking the pork chops. 
  • Season pork chops with rub on both sides and rub in to the chop
  • Pour excess fat from bacon into a metal soup can (or similar) BE CAREFUL! Save about a tablespoon in your pan. 
  • Brown all sides of pork chop (about 3 minutes per side)
  • Once browned cover with about 1/2 the BBQ sauce and smear all over one side, then flip and use that sauce to cover the other. 
  • Cover and let it cook for about 7 minutes
  • If you want to just cook the chops and not use them for sandwiches, you can skip this step and just let the chops keep cooking. I would suggest rotating the chop every few minutes and checking the internal temperature to reach an internal temp of 145-150 degrees F in multiple areas. 
  • If you are going to make the sandwiches (and to help them cook faster) cut the chops in half and lay them cut side down. Cover, and let cook for another 5 minutes or so. 
  • Take out of pan one half at a time and slice into thin pieces, put back in pan.
  • Cook all the pieces in the pan for another 3 minutes or so
  • Serve on a bun with bacon (and a veggie!)

No comments: