Tuesday, May 24, 2011

"This is what I live for...having lunch ready when Keith walks in the door!"

That was the post, along with this picture, that I posted on facebook earlier today. Surprisingly, this was met with a few silly comments, from those who know me best and know that my passion really is to serve people. 


I get a lot of flack for doing things like this, people asking me if I'm anti-feminist, or think that women should be "domesticated" and before even given time to respond, met with the retaliation that women have worked so hard to get the freedom they have that I should stop fighting against it.

So I guess today is the day that I stand on my soap box and reassure all of you out there that I am not anti-feminist, nor am I a feminist. I believe that we, as people, are meant to serve one another, and that I, have been blessed with the gift of hospitality and the desire to take care of those around me. Whether that be my boyfriend, my family, children, or any other person who steps into my life. That is just how I am wired.

I get a lot of flack from people for constantly pushing myself as far as I can to be the best I can be, because they're afraid of me being burned out. However, I have learned that when I serve to honor God, and not to make myself look good, I do not get burned out. And as I stick to my New Year's Resolution to embrace authentic relationships, I learn that I am not at all burned out, but reenergized to keep becoming the best of me.

With that in mind, I would like to say that my relationship with Keith has been the most authentic relationship that I have been able to embrace, and for that I am not only thankful, but I am will to serve and do what I can to make Keith's life a little easier, because, while I may not blog a lot about the wonderful things he does for me (I do this to spare you from the mushy-gushy, lovey-dovey, want to puke because I'm such a cheeseball, postings) I want you to know that he has done more than his share of things to make my life easier, more enjoyable, and most importantly to help me adjust to this life with my family a thousand miles away, me plopped here, in the middle of the midwest, just trying to figure out how to navigate through this adult-like life.

2 comments:

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El/e/Mrs. Seaman) said...

You should be able to make anyone a meal whenever you want to even if he/she does not ever reciprocate.

So there.

Erin Finney said...

Thank you, I like to think the same!