Monday, March 14, 2011

Fried Ravioli

If you've been following my blog, you know I spent New Years Day using my new ravioli KitchenAid attachment and ended up with buckets of ravioli in my freezer. For those of you who don't follow my blog check out this post: Ravioli to catch up and see how it went.

Well, I still have a few containers of ravioli left in my freezer, so, tonight I attempted to make fried ravioli the recipe was from the food network's website but, like always, I tweeked it to make it work with what I had/use. I'm going to list the recipe as it's listed on the site with side notes of what I changed

Ingredients
Olive oil, for frying
1 cup buttermilk ------ I used a scrambled egg mixture with 2 eggs and some 2% milk...I don't want to spend money on buttermilk if I'm only using 1 cup
2 cups Italian-style bread crumbs
1 box store-bought cheese ravioli (about 24 ravioli) ----- I used my homemade stuff and it worked just fine! If it's frozen boil it until it floats to the top and drain.
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan ---- okay, it's nice that they're so precise but whatever you have will work, it's only to sprinkle on top as you wish.
1 jar store bought marinara sauce, heated, for dipping

Directions

Pour enough olive oil into a large frying pan to reach a depth of 2 inches. Heat the oil over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 325 degrees F. (I heated the oil on high while I prepped the ravioli, I would suggest heating it on medium heat as, you'll see in the pictures later, my first few crisped up a bit too much, a bit too fast.)

Since I used my homemade ravioli and it was frozen, I put it in boiling water it until it floated to the top, drained, and put it on a tray to drain more.

While the oil is heating, put the buttermilk and the bread crumbs in separate bowls.

Dip ravioli in buttermilk to coat completely. Allow the excess buttermilk to drip back into the bowl.

Cover ravioli in the bread crumbs.

Place the ravioli on a baking sheet, and continue with the remaining ravioli.

Place into the oil, you can tell when it's fried, and then take it out. The first batch I left in for about 5 seconds and it sizzled right up...so I turned the heat down and tried again and the rest of it was perfect...didn't take 3 minutes like the recipe suggested, I'd say maybe 15 seconds per ravioli.

Using a slotted spoon, transfer the fried ravioli to paper towels to drain.

Sprinkle the fried ravioli with Parmesan and serve with a bowl of warmed marinara sauce for dipping.

Enjoy!!!


No comments: