Monday, November 22, 2010

Good Day?


What makes a good day? That is the burning question that has been on my mind these days. One thing that I really appreciate about Keith is that he pushes my critical thinking. I don't know if he does it intentionally, but regardless, I love that he does it! One of the ways he does this is by questioning everyday things that I say; this week has lead to the question of: what makes a good day?

When I call Keith for the midday check-in I always ask "are you having a good day?" and he usually replies "it's an okay day" and some days I pry for further information and some days I just leave it at that. Well, today, I pried. I pried a lot. And within that conversation he stated "I don't really know what a good day is, because it's kind of like love, you don't know what it is until you are in it" Which, is a valid response, because I guess you just "know" when you're having a good day or a bad day; just like you just "know" when you're in love (although, I do believe that love is more than a feeling and it is a choice - but I'll save that for another post.)

But, being the future teacher that I am (okay, I don't know if it has anything to do with that I just like to blame a lot of things on that), I believe that you can make people see things concretely no matter how abstract a subject may be! So, I set out to create a list of questions to help him decide if it was a good day or not. And here is what I have so far:

1. Did I accomplish my goals for the day?
2. Was I a good friend?
3. Did other people, who are important to me, treat me kindly?
4. Do I feel content with the way I am living?
5. Do the good things that happened to me outweigh the bad?
6. Did I laugh and smile?
7. Did I make positive choices?

and then, in reflection on your day, ask yourself: what could I do to make tomorrow better?

So, what are your thoughts? What makes a good day? Would you add or take away anything from this list? What are the thoughts you subconsciously think through when deciding if it's a good day or a bad day?

3 comments:

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El/e) said...

I don't know if my reflections are just part of who I am or if I just don't reflect...

You sure think about things more than I do--especially with their application/connection to teaching.

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El/e) said...

PS about 98% of my days are good--life is good even when it's hard or discouraging. It's only moments that are truly bad.

Erin Finney said...

Well, for the time being I feel like I eat, sleep and breathe education! I have a hard time not relating things to it since I'm so deep into the theories of it right now. Plus, I really do love teaching (at least what I have experienced thus far I love) and I have found that when I love or enjoy something it becomes a big part of my life!

I do like what you have to say about only bad moments, and I am going to share that with Keith when I see him this afternoon!

Thanks for the comment :)